Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bye bye friend

How do you know when to just drop a friendship? I am so bad at making and keeping friends. Somehow, unless I have a reason to see somebody, like class or work, I never keep in touch. It isn't all my fault, either. I try to ask people to do things with me, to come over for a party, stuff like that. It doesn't happen. I can only assume the problem is me, since other people don't have the issue with this that I do.

Recently I email a friend who I haven't seen in a long time. Actually, she was the maid of honor at my wedding and someone who I was very close to for a couple of years, probably because we worked together. Anyway, I said I missed her and would like to get together, maybe for lunch or coffee or something. She emailed back, saying she missed me too and would like to get together. When? So I emailed her again, saying that my schedule was open because I'm currently unemployed and to let me know when is best for her. She never emailed back. A week later I emailed her, saying my schedule had changed and that Saturdays were bad for me. Still haven't heard a thing.

Maybe I should have replied with a specific date and time, instead of leaving it open-ended for her convenience. But when I do that, I sometimes get cancelled on. Also, is it really a friendship if you have to do all the work of getting together? Right now I'm just on the lookout for people who I can do things with, people with whom I have things in common. I know part of the problem is that Rob and I have been attached at the hip for so long, but I didn't hang out with friends a lot either before I started dating him. If I do manage to hang out more with friends, it might help with our marriage and the fact that I feel like I see Rob far too much.

No comments: