Monday, February 18, 2008

Two steps forward, many steps back

This week was really rough for dieting. It started off promising, with my usual weekly dinner out with my dad coming in at 9 grams of fat instead of being way over. Hooray! But then I suggested to my husband that we have lunch together on Thursday, since he had class that night and I thought it would be nice to do something special for Valentine's Day. I really wasn't thinking of doing anything huge, just meet up. I even offered to make a lunch and bring it, but he decided that he wanted to eat out. Then he decided he wanted to eat out at a place that does hamburgers and malts. Really, they don't have too much else. Oh, I suppose I could have ordered a salad. But really, eat a salad while Rob devours a cheeseburger in front of me? So I had a hamburger and since I was splurging anyway, I had a malt. We can't split a malt since he always orders the same flavor that I do not like and they don't do half sizes there. I tried not to eat anything else all day and just couldn't do it. That evening I went nuts and ate a whole bunch of bread with spread. Not good.

Saturday we went out to my father's for the day. Lunch was pancakes, sausage and fruit. I had half a sausage patty with four pancakes and far too much syrup. Although bisquick mix has a surprising amount of fat in it, the real diet killer there was the syrup and the sugar in it. I had almost packed sandwich supplies but thought I could manage. For dinner my dad tossed some ribs in the oven. Not only do I not like ribs, they are a definite diet no-no. The sides were instant potatoes and green beans. I made the potatoes to recipe since I wasn't the main diner so there was far more margarine in them than I would have liked. Then the frozen green beans came packaged with lumps of butter. Ew. I had a small portion of each of the sides for dinner and felt disgusting.

Sunday started off OK with my usual sandwich, but then family called and asked if we'd like to have dinner. Since I don't get to see them very much, this was a great idea. BTW, the Olive Garden doesn't have too many healthy options. I don't care for their marinara sauce, I don't like minestrone soup and I don't eat shrimp. This cut down my options even further. I just gave up and had a bowl of soup, two breadsticks and half my garlic chicken entree. Horrible horrible day. If I'd known before I ate lunch that I was going out, I probably would have eaten less to try and make up for it. To top it all off, I've developed a migraine and so am not happy right now.

I have to remind myself to take this one day at a time and then this week is just a small setback. I feel like I've been so good that these food splurges were a big discouragement. Then I have even more issues I didn't think of- when I visit family, is it OK to bring my own lunch stuff? I can't do the less than 15 grams thing on the usual meals without eating miniscule amounts of food, which will seriously not work. It might be politer to just forget my diet for a weekend, but the whole point of this diet is that there is no excuses. If I allow myself splurges, like I did this week, I'll find all sorts of reasons to eat things I ought not.

Since I'm hoping to join a Curves soon, maybe working out will help me stay on track and feel better about myself.

No comments: