Friday, June 29, 2007

Housewifing

Despite the impression I give on this blog, my husband isn't all bad. He sometimes does very sweet things for me. Unfortunately, these gestures sometimes backfire.

If he runs to the store, he'll get me a soda or candy or some other treat. While I appreciate what he's trying to do, it's diet sabotage. I like to think he doesn't realize he's doing it, and since I brought up the subject he's been much better about not getting me sweet things. However, he still gets himself candy or ice cream and then proceeds to eat it in front of me. Torture.

Last night he started doing the dishes. He didn't do a whole lot of them and I finished them up, but he tried. Because I'm kinda OCD I don't like having him start the dishes, because I do things in a very specific order. Granted, there's reasons for this order but when I try to explain he doesn't want to hear it. At least I broke him of the habit of putting very sharp knives in the sink, hidden under the suds, then asking me to finish up the dishes. I do appreciate that he did some of the dishes, but I guess I'm kinda irked because I wash them all the time plus make dinner.

One things I really did appreciate is that he washed and changed the sheets on our bed last night. I hate making the bed- I'm a little short and to tuck the sheets in I have to crawl across the bed. He just leans over and can reach. I did help a little but I suppose it's only fair. What I didn't really appreciate it how he kept pointing out that the mattress pad was dirtier on my side of the bed. While I think it's from the self-tanner I use (because I'm an unattractive fishbelly white naturally) he kept saying it's because I'm in bed more than he is. Yeah.....and I'm just that much dirtier.

I do end up doing more of the household chores than he does, but for now I consider it mostly fair. While I was in school and working a part-time job, I was home more often. Now that I don't have a job I'm pretty much home all the time. I've made it clear, however, that I expect the division of labor to change immensely once I get a full-time position. Lets see what he can turn out for dinner or how he likes scrubbing down the bathtub and sink.

No comments: